Recommendations below refer to deployment in the evaluation lab or small infrastructure (up to 500 users):
- Prepare a virtual machine meeting the following requirements:
Hardware component Requirement
RAM 4 GB minimum, 8 GB recommended
100 GB on system drive
100 GB on data drive (capacity required for SQL Server and Long-Term Archive)
Recommended 1920x1080 or higher
- Download and install Netwrix Auditor on that VM, selecting Full installation to deploy both server and client components.
- When prompted to configure the Audit database settings, proceed with installing SQL Server Express Edition with Advanced Services on the same VM. See Install Microsoft SQL Server and Reporting Services for more information.
Alternatively, you can install Netwrix Auditor as a virtual appliance on your VMware vSphere or Hyper-V virtualization server. For more information on this deployment option, refer to the Virtual Appliance page.
PoC and Production Infrastructure
- If you are implementing a PoC project, it is strongly recommended that after its completion you create a new Netwrix Auditor server VM dedicated for use in production. Migrating the VM that hosted Netwrix Auditor server during the PoC into production environment is not recommended, as it may lead to performance problems.
- Consider using a dedicated SQL Server for the PoC project. Production database servers are often configured with the features that are not necessary for Netwrix Auditor (like cluster support, frequent backup, and so on). If you have no opportunity to use a dedicated SQL Server, then create an dedicated instance for Netwrix Auditor databases on your existing server.