For database sizing, it is recommended to estimate:
- Size of the environment you are going to monitor
- Amount of activity records produced by the audited system
- Retention policy for the audit databases
- Maximum database size supported by different SQL Server versions
To estimate the number of the activity records produced by your data sources, collected and saved by Netwrix Auditor during the week, you can use the Activity records by date widget of the Health Status dashboard. See Netwrix Auditor Administration Guide for more information.
Netwrix Auditor supports automated size calculation for all its databases in total, displaying the result, in particular, in the Database statistics widget of the Health Status dashboard. To estimate current capacity and daily growth for each database, you can click View details and examine information in the table. See Netwrix Auditor Administration Guide for more information.
NOTE: This feature is supported only for SQL Server 2008 SP3 and later.
Remember that database size in SQL Server Express editions may be insufficient. For example, Microsoft SQL Server 2012 SP3 Express Edition has the following limitations which may affect performance:
- Each instance uses only up to 1 GB of RAM
- Each instance uses only up to 4 cores of the first CPU
- Database size cannot exceed 10 GB